Wednesday, November 08, 2006

"Nov. 18 - mark down the date"

Before then I will buy $200 worth of groceries; I will go hiking in the blue Mountains; I will see "Snakes on a Plane"; I will watch cricket on TV; I will go bar-hopping on the weekend; I will do lots of things.

But nothing will have a chance to live up to what will transpire on November 18, 2006 at 7:30 a.m. here in Sydney. I will find a bar. And within its friendly confines, I will watch one of the most anticipated college football games in decades.

And possibly the most hyped-up Michigan-Ohio State game EVER.

No. 1 Ohio State vs. No. 2 Michigan. I know they each have a game to play before that fateful afternoon, but there's no way they'll lose. They wouldn't ruin what everyone from Mackinac Island to Columbus is looking forward to.

No way, no how.

Now that the Tigers' amazing championship run has fallen short - never to be forgotten, but to be placed in the past - the entire state of Michigan can focus on November 18.

'Cuz face it, there's no need to pay attention to basketball or hockey until Thanksgiving.

I can only imagine what Ann Arbor will be like in the days leading up to November 18. Here's an imagined conversation between an auto shop worker and a customer.

"The car all right?"
"Yeah, brakes were a little worn, nothing big."
"Nothin' compared to that game on Saturday, huh?"
"Oh, yeah, you got that right. Hopefully they can put the brakes on Smith, huh??"
"Got that right. Little worried about that guy, but hopefully we can get our offensive engine humming."
"Yes, sir, uh-hum."

There will be a pandemonium in town. How could there not be? If I was mayor, no one would have to work between 3:30 and 7 p.m. on November 18.

That's how big this game will be. Bigger than the state of Pennsylvania.

So, yes, life will go on here in Sydney. I'll talk to people about things as if they are important. I'll go food-shopping, as if I'm hungry.

But I'll be honest: the only thing I'm hungry for is the arrival of November 18.

No comments: