Thursday, November 16, 2006

"Want to know the winner?"

Do you just hate the drama of sports? Do you bang your head against a wall every time your team is in a close game? Do you want to know the result before the action?

Then I've got the website for you. Go to www.whatifsports.com.

You can clash any two teams from any era against each other. Here's an example: I pitted the 1965 Celtics (remember, "Havlicek steals the ball...") against the 1992 Bulls - the best Chicago championship team (no, it wasn't 1996). I simulated a best-of-seven series between the two powerhouses, and the Bulls survived in seven high-scoring contests. I believe Michael Jordan had 49 points in the final game.

Yes, for each game there's not only a score, but a box score, play-by-play, you name it. Anything you'd see after an actual game.

For fun, I also pitted last year's Pistons against the 1996 Vancouver Grizzlies (who were absolutely dreadful). All I wanted was to get the Grizz one win, just one. But after 13 Detroit blowouts, I gave up.

It wasn't happening.

Reality. It's a painful thing.

I haven't predicted any upcoming games (such as... you guessed it, The Game on Saturday) because I, for one, enjoy the drama of sports.

I have close to no idea who's going to win on Saturday. And I don't want to know.

But for those of you who chew on napkins when your team is in a nailbiter, for those of you who start sweating in the second quarter of your squad's big game... well, this site is for you.

Because if your team's going to lose, then why watch the game anyway?

Spend some time outside instead. It'll be good for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jake. You're a sportswriter. Here's one for you. I live in Canada,(Vancouver,BC to be exact)and my boyfriend lives in Montreal,Quebec. The BC Lions (our football team) and the Alouette Montreal(their team) are going head to head this sunday for the cup. Who's your money on? And how do we handle it...hahah?

Michelle